Wednesday, 7 November 2012

My Diet

I recently asked people on the Facebook page what they would like me to blog about and I enjoyed reading your responses! I will soon get around to each of them but here is one of the request I received: What do I eat, What is my diet plan? I don't stick to a strict diet plan, I eat healthy most of the time but I definitely have my "bad days", sometimes even a week. This post isn't stating that this is how YOU should eat, these are simply meals and foods that I incorporate into my diet. I love food! So I eat healthy most of the time, which allows me to eat large portions :) I work out four times a week and lead a very active lifestyle so I don't cut out carbs completely but when I feel bloated or want to trim down, I simply reduce my intake at dinner. I am not a fan of meat, so I don't go out of my way to eat it. However, if I am served meat at someones house I will eat it. Some rules that I follow nearly 100% is; I don't eat bread with dinner, I don't drink any soda/soft drinks, I don't have a big sweet tooth so I don't eat sweets, candy, lollies or cakes! If I do have a sweet craving I make myself a black tea and add milk and honey :) When eating out, I always opt for the vegetarian options first or fish. I have a diet plan that I have composed which I do when trying to lose a few pounds, if you would like a copy email me at summerslookbook@gmail.com! Hope you enjoy this post, and keep the suggestions coming on the Facebook page HERE!

BREAKFAST:


I don't care what anyone says, I know coffee isn't healthy, but it's not healthy for people to be around me unless I have had a strong coffee first thing in the morning! I can't function without it! I always use no fat milk, so it isn't too many calories ;) 

My breakfast is my healthiest meal of the day...then it all goes down hill from there! I have organic rolled oats with rice milk (try buy the protein enriched one!) I love milk so much that I never thought I would be able to drink rice or almond milk, but my friend Chloe made this for me one day and now I'm hooked! I also add Pysllium Husks, Chia seeds and Flax seeds to it, they are a great source of fibre and kick start your metabolism for the day! For extra flavor add a chopped banana and a small drizzle or honey ;) YUM! 

LUNCH:


I LOVE sushi! I probably eat it 4 times a week! There is a sushi train opposite our gym so my sister and I go there for lunch quite often after our workout. To all my fellow single ladies it is also really good "date food" because the portions are small and it is neat to eat! I know you are not suppose to eat white rice when trying to lose weight or eat healthy but it's such a small amount, (thats how I justify it). When choosing sushi stay away from ones with deep fried meats, cream cheese, mayonaise or battered appetizers such as spring rolls. My favorite two rolls are pictured above, salmon sashimi and salmon and avocado (avocado is really good for you, "good fats") If you can, ask for brown rice instead of white!


When I eat sushi or any other lunch I always drink green tea! So good for you, rich in antioxidants and it fills you up more when drunk with your meal. 

My favorite salad is Asian chicken salad, also one of my favorite lunch options!


I have never been a big meat lover and I rarely eat red meat, it must be years since I had a steak. There are so many delicious vegetarian options these days, that taste just like meat if not better! These veges sausages come in a variety of flavours and taste just like a regular sausage but they are 10 times healthier! Have them for lunch with some grilled vegetables, or take a packet to work because the best thing is they are pre-cooked! Just pop them in the microwave for a few minutes and you have yourself a very healthy lunch :)

DINNER:



This would have to be my favorite and healthiest dinner! Salmon and grilled vegetables (especially asparagus). 

I have recently discovered "QUINOA", it is really the complete package! It is a complete source of protein, packed with essential amino acids, iron, magnesium, fibre, and calcium! I told you, the complete package. I love my carbs and I love asian food. I could live off stir-fry veges, tofu, curry and RICE! But unfortunately rice isn't the best thing for you when your trying to slim down, so QUINOA is the next best thing! It is very similar to rice but a lot better for you! This is now my go-to quick and easy meal: quinoa, mixed veges and tofu!

SNACKS:

These chips are amazing! They are just baked vegetables like sweet potatoes and beetroot. They taste better than regular potato chips I swear! 
I love to eat boiled egg whites! They are a great form of protein. I don't eat the yolk, just the egg whites. Boil a lot at once then keep them in your fridge for a healthy snack. 




The perfect healthy snack, a handful of almonds and Gogi berries! They taste so good together, the only problem is not eating more than a handful a day! 

WHEN COOKING:

I add Black Chia seeds to almost everything I cook! 
"Chia is an easy way to add healthy nutrition to your daily diet, with Vitamins A, B12 and C, complete protein (18 Amino Acids), minerals including potassium, phosphorous, folate, zinc, iron, and calcium as well as bowel-regulating soluble and insoluble fibre." 
I use coconut oil when cooking because unlike olive oil it doesn't go rancid when heated! I highly recommend it. Use olive oil in salads but not for cooking!