Wednesday, 14 November 2012

My Cover Illustration: PACS 03



I took an art class as an elective subject in my final year at college in the US. I have always enjoyed drawing but after receiving a few not so great grades on artwork in high school I gave up. I was a perfectionist and I couldn't settle for a B. When I took a drawing class at college, my passion quickly kicked in! Our last assignment for the year was to design the cover for the PACS book (a text book that every UOP student has to take in the first and senior year of college). 
We had to submit 2 different cover designs for the PACS 01 and PACS 03 book and the winners would be chosen between the 2 drawing classes. I was pleased to find out my design won for the PACS 03 book! 
I used to take pictures of my work on my iphone and send them to my boyfriend at the time, so thankfully I have them to show you how the design developed from start to finish! I am proud of the fact that I have something published with my illustration, name and photo in it! 

It is a little ironic that I designed a book titled "What is an ethical life"? haha the answer is...NOT MY LIFE!
IN THE FIRST STAGES: Drawing my design in Art Class
STAGE ONE: Making a grid for the facial features and hair
STAGE TWO: adding in the crossword with ethical vocab
STAGE THREE: adding a collage of paper bills
STAGE FOUR: the 'almost' final version of my cover submission
THE FINAL PUBLISHED VERSION OF MY ILLUSTRATION!
YAY! My cover won, and I finally got my hands on a copy!
My photo and cover explanation on the inside of the book
Reading and thinking to myself...I really don't miss studying at all!
FINAL VERSION!
My photo and blurb on the inside of the book!

At the time I wrote my "cover explanation" I was dating a guy with the initials GT, so as romantic as I am, I decided to title my cover illustration "Love you, GT"... needless to say that our relationship didn't last long enough to see the book published! Isn't it a relationship rule don't get a boyfriends name in ink? I thought that only applied for tattoos? I guess not. He was my biggest fan of my artwork and still has all my drawings, so I guess his initials deserve to be there after all. Thank you GT for all the support :) 

IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE ME TO DO ANY ILLUSTRATIONS FOR THEM, EMAIL ME AT summerslookbook@gmail.com